Platform Policy beyond Platform Determinism
Conference of the Jean Monnet Network on European Media and Platform Policies (EuromediApp)
19 November 2021
Venue: Irish College, Leuven
This conference day focuses on the continuation of the debate about platform governance research launched at the First Annual Platform Governance Research Network Conference in the Spring of 2021. We define platform governance as a “private mediation between Internet content and the humans who provide and access this content” (DeNardis, 2012). The following questions will be addressed:
- What are the challenges and opportunities regarding platform governance?
- What is the impact of platform governance on journalistic work and diversity?
- Which role(s) have policy makers to play in this context of platform governance?
- Which role(s) have the Big Four tech companies to play in this context of platform governance?
- What are the main issues that need to be included in future research about platform governance research?
Experts in the field: continuing the debate on platform governance
Clara Iglesias Keller (WZB Berlin Social Sciences Center/ Leibniz Institute for Media Research)
Before and After Disinformation: The Normative Framework for Platform Regulation in Brazil
Vibodh Parthasarathi (Centre for Culture, Media & Governance, Jamia Millia Islamia)
Platformisation in India: Industrial Dynamics and Post-Industrial Anxieties
Shannon McGregor (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
Considering data use and data availability in platform governance
The view of policymakers and industry
Agne Kaarlep (Policy officer for Digital Services and Platforms, Communications Networks, Content and Technology (CNECT))
Shaping platform policy within the EU: the view of the European Commission
Simone Gobello (Public Policy Manager, EU Affairs Facebook)
Facebook’s view on the discussions around EU’s Digital Services Act
Discussion workshops on topics related to the research and education challenges
The platformization of the news ecology
- Michaël Opgenhaffen (KU Leuven)
- Barbara Thomaß (Leibniz Institute for Media Research Hans-Bredow-Institut)
Process of constitutionalisation of the Social Media Environment
- Clara Iglesias Keller (WZB Berlin Social Sciences Center/Leibniz Institute for Media Research, participating online)
- Claudia Padovani (University of Padova)